Saturday, July 5, 2008

"You tell me what to think so I don't have to"

Alright, I've failed everyone again by not posting on Friday what the new releases were. However, there was really only one and it wasn't even released on Friday, so in my opinion I'm in the clear.

Hancock is the only movie worth mentioning that was released this week. It came out on Tuesday the first. It stars Will Smith, Jason Bateman and Charlize Theron. Now the first time I saw this preview, it looked mildly entertaining, but I couldn't help wondering who the villain was supposed to be since none was shown. In almost every superhero movie, the villain is shown in the preview unless the point of the story is that they don't know who the villain is (i.e. always kept in shadow, etc). As it turns out, the next preview shows Charlize looking mighty suspicious. I'm a big Will Smith fan because, let's face it, he is one sexy-fine black man. I will be seeing this movie later tonight so expect a thrilling post tomorrow about it.

So, working in a DVD store obviously has opened my mind to many interesting films. Just a few that I will be adding to my Netflix are: Meet Bill, Everything You Want, and Playing By Heart.
Here's why I added them:

Meet Bill looks like a very interesting movie. It has Aaron Eckhart, whom I love, Elizabeth Banks and Timothy Olyphant, who is #1 on my "Kind Of Older Guy Crush" list (very different from my "Old Man Crush" list). The plot revolves around Bill (Eckhart) who has taken on one of those kids from Big Brother to try and fill his sucky life. His wife (Banks) is cheating on him with a news anchor (Olyphant) so the kid tries to make Bill's life better by hooking him up with a waitress or something. The only drawback to this funny film is that Jessica Alba is the waitress or something. I'm willing to overlook this, though, because I like the other people, but just barely.

Everything You Want looks like a sweet movie. It stars Shiri Appleby from Roswell and Nick Zano from What I Like About You. The plot involves this smart, artsy girl (Appleby) who has an imaginary boyfriend. Then she starts tutoring a dude (Zano) and begins to fall for him (who wouldn't he's pretty hot). I'm not sure where the plot gets all crazy, but I'm assuming it has something to do with the imaginary boyfriend. Moral? Don't tell hot boys you have a boyfriend unless he actually exists.

Playing By Heart has a lot of famous people that I recognized, including Angelina Jolie, Ryan Phillipe and Jon Stewart, so that's why I want to see it. It also looks like a cute/sexy comedy.

Goodies x 2!

Underrated movies of the post: Mr. Deeds. This movie is actually quite cute along with the wackiness that Adam Sandler brings to every movie. Winona Ryder is actually good and, bonus, not stealing anything. So, good movie that's full of surprises!
Empire Records. As you can see above, I love this movie so much that I put one of its quotes on my page. This movie is hilarious and if you haven't seen it, you have to right now! It's great! It's funny and heart-warming and funny and...funny!

Movies to see: Hancock, Playing By Heart, Everything You Want and Meet Bill.

Surprise of the Post! Matthew McConaughey is an extra in Jaws 3. It isn't on Imdb.com, but I know this to be true because I saw it with my own two eyes! My mother is here to corroborate my story for all you non-believers.

Name 7 Adam Sandler: Mr. Deeds, Eight Crazy Nights, Big Daddy, Wedding Singer, 50 First Dates, Reign Over Me, Click

Name 7 Matthew McConaughey: How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, Fool's Gold, Wedding Planner, Angels in the Outfield, Sahara, Two For the Money, and Jaws 3!

Kevin Costner was in Mr. Brooks with Demi Moore who was in A Few Good Men with Kevin Bacon: 2 Steps.

Josh Hartnett was in Sin City with Bruce Willis who was in 12 Monkeys with Brad Pitt who was in Sleepers with Kevin Bacon: 3 steps.

Fare thee well!

1 comment:

Molly and Molly said...

i'm very pleased with the title of this post. also, i'm happy for a empire records shout-out: now THATS a must-see movie. finally, i just can't thank you enough for all the obscure movie recommendations; my netflix queue grows & grows

it was greta to see you this weekend. i'm excited for our next meeting at the beach!