Monday, February 23, 2009

My Take on the Oscars '09

The Highlights:

-Hugh Jackman: He is so good looking, though there were huge chunks of time when he wasn't on stage and that was highly upsetting. But the opening number was great so I've included it here for those who were hiding under a rock last night or for those who want to see it again (I've already re-watched it myself)



-The Biggies: I really liked how Best Supporting Actor/Acress and Best Actor/Actress were introduced. I thought it was really creative to have 5 past winners come out and introduce the 5 nominees instead of just showing clips from their movies like always. Kudos!

-Stiller/Portman: Quite an odd pairing to begin with, but made even more so when Stiller came out with his humorous impression of Joaquin Phoenix. And who doesn't love Natalie Portman? She's a babe.

-Genre Montages: Drama/Comedy/Romance/Action clips were great. My favorite was James Franco and Seth Rogan taking on their Pineapple Express roles to comment on pretty much everything. I love those guys!

-Will Smith: I was very pleased that Will Smith was up on stage for a good chunk of time announcing winners or whatever he was doing. He's pretty.

-Cuba Gooding, Jr: His outburst at Robert Downey Jr's role of "an Australian actor playing a black man" was great. And hopefully RDJ will be playing Shaft. Who knows?

-Heath Ledger: I've been a big proponent of him winning Best Supporting Actor so I'm highly pleased that he did. The parents/sister speeches could have been a little less heart-wrenching because I wasn't planning on shedding tears yesterday, but who cares? He won!

The Lowlights:

-Zac Efron and Robert Pattinson: There is really no reason they should have been on stage and those both looked ridiculous. Efron looked plain terrified and Pattinson was being his smarmy, I'm-too-good-for-this self. Ridiculous.

-Taraji P Henson: She's awesome, one of my new favorites, and she didn't win Best Supporting Actress. Honestly, she should get her own separate award for being able to be around Brad Pitt on set and not jump that hotness. Besides that, she's just cool.

-Musicals Number: I have to admit that the second number Hugh Jackman did with all the musicals and Beyoncé was bad news. My mom thought they were all lip-syncing, but if that was the case they shouldn't sing EVER again whether it be on-stage or not. That's why I think it was probably live because we all know Hugh and Beyoncé can sing (oh and those other kids too).

-Sean Penn: Did he really have to win? I mean, honestly, the guy just bugs me. I know he's this fantastic actor and all that jazz, but I think all of the other dudes nominated should have won over him (you know I really mean it if I choose Philip Seymour Hoffman over Sean Penn).

Oscar-ly Goodies

People I want to be friends with: Taraji P Henson, Amy Adams, Diane Lane, Natalie Portman, Liam Neeson, Jessica Biel, Joel Grey, Queen Latifah, Christopher Walken, and Michael Sheen.

People I want to be "more than" friends with: Emile Hirsch, Adrian Brody (without long hair), Brad Pitt, Hugh Jackman, Dev Patel, Seth Rogan, James Franco, and Dominic Cooper.

People who looked amazing: Reese Witherspoon, Natalie Portman, Jennifer Aniston, and Marisa Tomei.

People who looked utterly ridiculous and why:
Philip Seymour Hoffman: A black beanie to the Oscars? Really?
Sarah Jessica Parker: I was on "Boobs Falling Out" watch every time she was on screen.
Zac Efron: Since when did long greasy hair become cool?
Adrien Brody: I don't think I'd mind the beard as much if it didn't come with nasty long hair.
Tilda Swinton: She just "threw something on"...some curtains. Literally.
Mickey Rourke: If he was going for disgusting and gag-worthy, he succeeding wonderfully.
Robert Pattinson: When they were talking about Mickey Rourke, he was sitting in the row behind looking absolutely creepy. People can't keep saying it's him playing up his Edward role because he looks like this ALL THE TIME!!! He's a big creeper and it's time people recognized it.
Kate Winslet: She's beautiful, but the hair style needs work.

The annoying part: What's with the Language barrier? I think more foreigners won than not and NONE of them spoke English (or at least understandable English). I've never been one to insist upon the rest of the world speaking English, but what's the point in me not fast-forwarding when I don't understand what they're saying?

The best quote: "And here's Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie. I don't really have a joke for them, but I'm contractionally obligated to mention them every 5-6 minutes. So there they are!" - Hugh Jackman

As for the Quote Quiz, I feel I must let Katrina and Molly know that Katie guessed incorrectly for the last post. So not only do you get another shot, but one answer is eliminated! Guess away!

1 comment:

Molly and Molly said...

okay, i had no clue, but given this second chance i will guess....b)weatherman. it sounds like a smarmy quote from a movie that seemed like it might have been smary