Monday, July 6, 2009

Jake Gyllenhaal

DVDs out on Tuesday

Knowing - This movie was a pleasant surprise. The cinematography was brilliant and the story was pretty interesting. While I probably won't rush out to buy it, I would most definitely recommend you Netflix it. It was highly enjoyable, even with Nicolas Cage's inability to show emotion. Haha.

Push - This movie was great! I'm going to run out and buy it first thing tomorrow. The story was awesome, the special effects were cool, and Chris Evans was really really good looking. I also credit this movie for making me like Dakota Fanning again. After her War of the Worlds fiasco where all she did was scream, I am not ashamed to say she annoyed me. This movie and The Secret Life of Bees show that she is a very good actress with a wide range.

The Unborn - Wasn't interested when it came out in theaters and I'm most definitely not interested now. From what I've seen in the previews (when I'm not hiding my eyes or changing the channel) it looks a lot like The Ring and The Grudge (only creepier) and stars that chick who looks a lot like Megan Fox, but isn't.

Summer Movie Review Part Five

The Proposal - Ryan Reynolds and Sandra Bullock were brilliant in this movie. There was non-stop comedy from beginning to end with a little bit of drama/romance thrown in just to keep the genre of "Rom-Com" alive. Reynolds was his classic self with his unique and hilarious delivery and Bullock was just as great playing her role of uptight control-freak (see: Two Weeks Notice). The two off-set each other perfectly and the background characters only added to the humor (Mary Steenburgen, Betty White, etc). All in all, this is a very good chick flick and I can't wait to buy it (if only to see Ryan Reynolds in all his shirtless glory).

My Sister's Keeper - True to it's trailer, this movie made me cry from almost the very beginning to the end. While the most advertised actors were Cameron Diaz and Abigail Breslin (both did fantastic, by the way), I found myself more interested in the other members of the family. Jason Patric did a phenominal job, as did Sofia Vassilieva and Evan Ellingson (dying sister and older brother respectively). Vassilieva's performance was beautiful and very moving and I wouldn't be surprised if she wasn't up for some kind of award for it. I was intrigued to see Cameron Diaz in a serious role and I think she performed admirably. Despite the guarentee of tears, I would still suggest seeing this film as it is very eye-opening and thought provoking.

Public Enemies - Johnny Depp is gorgeous. That is pretty much the only thing I took away from this movie and I believe the director did this purposefully. There was hardly any scenes that didn't end with his pretty face filling the screen as he made some sort of sexy smirk causing female audience members to swoon uncontrollably. Marion Cotillard is beautiful as well and a fantastic actress. After seeing this, it is no surprise to me that she won an Academy Award. On another note, I've recently realized that with each Christian Bale movie I've seen since Batman Begins (except for The Prestige) I have disliked him more and more. I'm not sure if this has to do with the characters he plays, his performances, or if they're just bad movies, but I'm have been slightly more scornful of a movie if I find out he's in it (of course that doesn't usually keep me from seeing it, but still). Back to the film itself, this movie has shed a new light on Bio-Pics for me. It is a masterful piece.

Very Pretty Goodies

Underrated movie of the post:
Highway. Not only does this also star Jared Leto (who is nice to look at) and Selma Blair (who is awesome), but the story is interesting and Gyllenhaal is hilarious. It's an intense road-trip brought on by lost love and the fear for one's feet with a prostitute thrown in. It's a winner.

Movies to see:
Knowing, Push, and Highway.

Trailer of the post:
Brothers. I absolutely love Natalie Portman and any movie where Toby Maguire is the guy no one likes. This does, however, ring of Pearl Harbor, yes?



Name 7 Jake Gyllenhaal:
Zodiac, Rendition, Bubble Boy, Brokeback Mountain, Donnie Darko, Day After Tomorrow, Moonlight Mile.

Kevin Bacon Game:
Jake Gyllenhaal was in Day After Tomorrow with Emmy Rossum who was in Mystic River with Kevin Bacon: 2 steps.

Quote Quiz #88 winner:
Kristina takes it again with Finding Neverland. Great movie. Makes me cry every time.

QQ #89: Name this Jake Gyllenhaal movie:
"Those really ratty sandals she always loved to wear. They always made this incredible farting sound everytime she moved."

a. Highway
b. Moonlight Mile
c. Donnie Darko
d. Zodiac

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not a clue but if you haven't already seen it, you need to Netflix "Martian Child". John Cusack,Amanda Peet and a darling little orphan who thinks he's an alien. I just finished watching it and LOVED it!

Kristina

Molly and Molly said...

kristina has no guess finally & i don't know it!! oh cruel world, why do you play these tricks?!

i'm guessing "moonlight mile" for the hell of it.

ps. if you can guess who will be in mesa the night of july 14th, you win a free date to the movies