Tuesday, May 12, 2009

John Goodman

DVDs out today:

Taken - This movie was brilliant. It was action-packed and suspenseful and kept you guessing til the very end. Liam Neeson was awesome! Maggie Grace was a little more annoying than I imagined. I had such high hopes for her... But at least she was only in it for a little while.

Underworld: Rise of the Lycans - I. Love. Underworld. Even if this movie wasn't focused on the Kate Beckinsale/Scott Speedman story, I freaking love Michael Sheen so learning his backstory was great! Who knew there was so much to it? It just goes to show that it's always the handsome brooding types that have the most interesting lives.

Summer Movie Review Part 1:

X-Men Origins: Wolverine - I know I already kind of discussed how cool this movie was, but I thought that reiteration couldn't hurt. There are still some non-believers out there. I know of a few people who didn't absolutely adore the movie like I did and the only reasons I can come up with to explain this anomaly is that 1) They haven't seen/love the other X-Mens or 2) The movie was just far too short. I'll admit that there should have been more and the hour and a half didn't allow that. But hey, maybe when it comes out on DVD there will be more! I can't wait!

Star Trek - There are no words or pithy comments that can accurately explain the enormity of this movie. It was beyond expectations and, in a word, brilliant. (Even my father loved it and that's saying something.) The film had the perfect balance of action, drama, and comedy AND tons of allusions to the original TV show. From someone who is only vaguely knowledgable on Star Trek (i.e. characters, actors, and that's about it), even I enjoyed all the references. Plus, JJ Abrams in all of his genius tweaked the plot just enough that it is both the prequel AND a completely different story. So it can continue on a new path if desired. Genius.
But back to the review, there was far too many Eric Bana close ups (his face filled the screen too many times to count) which were unnecessary. And that's not just because I don't care for him as an actor. It's a fact. Zachary Quinto performed admirably as Spock. Chris Pine was hilarious. Karl Urban was just fantastic and the most believable of them all. John Cho and Anton Yelchin weren't focused on very heavily, but seemed to pull off their respective characters. Zoe Saldana was a little more than annoying, but pretty awesome in the same respect. Simon Pegg should have been in it more because he was awesome (as always). The other big names (Tyler Perry, Bruce Greenwood, Leonard Nimoy, Winona Ryder) were all nice additions and made the movie much more interesting. And for my final words: watch out for the beginning. Bring tissues.

Goodman Goodies!

Underrated movie of the post: Emperor's New Groove. By far one of the top 5 Disney movies of all time. Hilarious with a hint of a moral lesson about treating people nicely if they are worse off than you.

Movies to see: Taken, Underworld: Rise of the Lycans, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, Star Trek, Emperor's New Groove, and Star Trek (Yes, I know I said Star Trek twice).

Trailer of the post: The Princess and the Frog. I like it. I like it a lot.



Name 7 John Goodman: Speed Racer, The Borrowers, Death Sentence, Coyote Ugly, Emperor’s New Groove, Confessions of a Shopaholic, Monsters Inc.

John Goodman was in Death Sentence with Kevin Bacon: 1 step.

Quote Quiz #72 winner: Beth puts her name up on the board with The Lookout. Way to go!

QQ #73: Name this John Goodman movie:
"The kid had a tail. What was I supposed to do? Pretend I didn't notice it?"

a. The Borrowers
b. The Flintstones
c. Emperor's New Groove
d. Monsters Inc.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

B. again...

Tee, hee! I love that I can post these myself instead of texting you...

Kristina

Anonymous said...

D

Anonymous said...

that was me that said D - mommy

Molly and Molly said...

uuughhh! how do i always miss it!? i used to reign supreme. B. poop


anyway, star trek was the shit. so amazing. i want to see it again

congrats on your freedom, btw (i abbreviated because i know you hate it!)