Sunday, June 22, 2008

Blu-Ray is Overrated.

Working at a DVD store has allowed me to deal with a variety of questions and concerns such as: Why are your prices so much more than Wal-Mart/Target?; Why isn't this insanely rare movie that no one but myself has ever heard of on DVD?; Can you sell me that new release four days before you're supposed to at risk to you keeping your job for me a complete stranger?; and, the doosie, Will I have to replace all of my DVDs with Blu-Rays like I did with my VHS tapes?

First, allow me to inform you readers who are unaware of these new-fangled Blu-Ray discs. They are pretty much the same movie (some extra features are exclusive, but that's about it) but in "high-definition" for all your HD TVs. I can understand wanting crystal clear picture that makes you feel as though you are right there in the action, but what I cannot understand is paying out of your you-know-where for something that is barely, barely different from the regular DVD alternative.
This rant does come with a side note and that is that I have technically never witnessed the "awesome quality" of a Blu-Ray disc, but I'm proud of that fact. And you know what? I honestly believe that if I did, I wouldn't know the difference so I'm not going to pay twenty dollars more for a movie nor am I going to pay hundreds of dollars more for the special machine that plays them.

Now allow me to explain why I tell my customers that Blu-Ray will not take over DVDs. DVDs took over VHS tapes because they are dynamically more efficient: you don't have to rewind to get to the beginning, you can skip or choose a chapter instead of fast forwarding, they will last longer than the film in VHS tapes would, they are smaller and less bulky when storing them in your huge DVD bookcase that I will someday have (here's hoping!).
The only "dynamic" difference between DVD and Blu-Ray is the supposed higher quality of picture. They are the same size and offer the same features and yet they are extremely higher in price.

So I am suggesting that you do not run out to purchase any of these special machines or discs because, frankly, you'll be wasting your money. Unless of course Blu-Ray invents a way to make their discs produce crack cocaine so you can try to make up those lost funds.

To lighten my ranty mood:

Underrated movie of the post: Sahara. If you haven't heard of Clive Cussler's Dirk Pitt novels, I suggest you run over to the Barnes (or just click on the link I have so generously provided) and pick one up. He's not uber-popular so you should be able to find a cheap one (just make sure it's Dirk Pitt) and enjoy. I've never read a better action/adventure book by any other author. But back to the movie. In case you hadn't guessed, it is based off of Cussler's book "Sahara" and stars Matthew McConaughey, Steve Zahn, and Penelope Cruz. If you are one of the few who can stand McConaughey's cocky persona then you will enjoy the movie thoroughly, but if not you will LOVE Steve Zahn's cooky side-kick-ness and the action-packed story itself.

Underrated actor of the post: Steve Zahn. He's been around forever (You've Got Mail) yet very few know him by name. I believe this must end. He's fantastic and hilarious. For shame on you who do not know. Educate yourselves!

Steve Zahn movies to see: Sahara (obviously), but there's also Riding in Cars with Boys, Saving Silverman, You've Got Mail, That Thing You Do!, and, although I haven't seen it yet myself, Strange Wilderness. It just looks great.

Matthew McConaughey was in Two for the Money with Al Pacino who was in Ocean's 13 with Brad Pitt who was in Sleepers with Kevin Bacon: 3 steps

I know that I've used Brad Pitt and Sleepers for the last couple games, but at least it's not Laura Linney and Mystic River. She's in everything!

1 comment:

KT80 said...

Hello, love! It is I, Katie, and I was about to go to bed and I thought I'd leave a comment on your blog since I haven't yet, and I do love it so, and lo, and behold! You have a new post! Did you ever know that you're my hero? Seriously, though, I love your blog. It's entertaining, it's informative, and it's classic Skelnik which of course means it's totally boss. I shall start inviting my friends to read this blog, especially the ones who work at the movie theatre. OK, am tired, so to conclude: I love you. You rule the world. I love you. Goodnight!